I've gotta be honest with you, these five foods really make me mad. Especially when someone thinks they are making a healthy choice (I did for awhile!) . It's kind of like my post "Just Because it's Free Doesn't Mean it's Healthy". I try to avoid these "foods" like the plague and so should you. Seriously, they are disgusting.
- Farmed Salmon: Salmon can be one of the best food for your health, or one of the worst. Most of our salmon is farmed, which doesn't sound like that big of a deal until you look a little closer. It's actually scary. Raised with up to 600,000 fish in a single net, farmed salmon contain sea lice, are artificially colored to make them the "right" color, are given antibiotics and are a fed an unnatural diet. Unfortunately over %60 of salmon is now farmed (aka filled with chemicals) so make sure that it's wild or just don't go there.
- Processed Soy: Contrary to popular belief, non-organic soy is not good for you. 99% of soy in the US is genetically modified and studies have shown that it can seriously mess with our hormonal levels (more here). If you think your making a healthy choice by choosing soy milk or tofu, you're not.
- Soft Drinks: When you drink a soda, you might as well just take a few sugar packets and dump them on top of every single one of your meals for the day. Our body is not designed to digest sugar. Too much sugar in our diet leads to obesity, diabetes, cancer, the list goes on. So you're drinking "diet soda"? Bah! That's even worse. Which is why I've included artificial sweeteners in a category all it's own...
- Artificial Sweeteners: Beyond the fact that your literally ingesting chemicals that cause a multitude of problems in your body including cancerous tumors (no biggie), although their calorie free, sweeteners can actually make you fat. That's right. New research shows that artificial sweeteners stimulate the pancreas to release insulin, an important hormone for accumulating body fat and processing sugar. When your body doesn't receive what it's expecting, it makes you even hungrier.
- Fried Foods: When you eat fried food, you might as well just drink the canola oil straight from the vat. Now, I'm not gonna lie, I'm a huge sucker for french fries. But... just know that if you're trying to keep the weight off, fried food is a no-go. Canola oil is the worst form of fat you can consume, not to mention most canola oil is genetically modified. Rule of thumb, stay away from anything fried. This includes tempura, fried chicken, pretty much anything with a crispy crust.
It can be hard to eat healthy these days. Do you ever feel like just when you find a healthy alternative, it's not healthy anymore (kinda like that salmon)? I do. It sucks. Just remember to eat food as close to it's natural state as possible. Be conscious about what you're putting in your body. It's more than how we look, it's how we feel. Stay healthy, babes xo