I've been making the most delicious homemade protein bars ever. They are super duper easy to make, protein packed, gluten-free and feel like a cheat! They have become one of my go-to breakfast or post workout staples. They taste more like banana bread. And who doesn't like banana bread? Here is the yummy recipe that I tweaked from this site. Next I'll attempt "raw" protein bars. In the meantime, enjoy this delicious, healthy treat!
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour
- 1/3 cup protein powder (I use this one)
- 1 T chia seeds
- 1 t cinnamon (my fave ingredient)
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 T smooth natural peanut butter (or almond butter)
- 1 and 1/2 T honey
- 1 t vanilla
- 1/4 cup carob chips (or chocolate chips or nibs)
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (or your nut of choice)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a bowl combine all dry ingredients – oats, oat flour, protein powder, chia seeds, cinnamon and salt.
- In a large bowl combine all wet ingredients – bananas, egg whites, almond milk, peanut butter, honey, stevia and vanilla.
- Slowly pour and stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until everything is well mixed, then gently stir in the carob chips, nuts and coconut.
- Pour the batter into a greased (with coconut oil) baking tray - batter should be about 1 in. thick.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, remove from oven and cool for 15-20 minutes
After they've cooled I cut them up into squares and store them in a zip lock bag in the fridge.