We are all pressed for time. I feel ya. However, if you think you need an hour to get a good sweat, you're wrong! High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) not only allows you to sneak in a workout in less than 30 minutes, you can complete an effective HIIT workout in as little as 4 minutes! And, wait for it, it's even better than spending an hour on the treadmill! Sounds too good be true? Get ready to change your workout routine forever, studies have proven these amazing benefits of HIIT :
- Burn More Calories: Not only do you burn more caloriesafter
- Skip the Gym: Using exercises like high knees, lunges, squats, and pushups, all you need for a quality HIIT workout is a little bit of space (like your living room) and a timer (like this one) is helpful.
- Lose Fat not Muscle: One problem with rapid weight loss, is the loss of muscles as opposed to fat. Studies have shown that unlike going for a long run, interval training preserves muscles and that most of the weight lost comes from fat... hooray for lean muscle!
- Increased Metabolism: stimulates production of your human growth hormone by up to 450 percent HGH is not only responsible for increased caloric burn but also slows down the aging process.
- Immediate Results: Just 2 weeks of high-intensity intervals improves your heart and lung health as much as 6 to 8 weeks of endurance training.
Now, you may be thinking, "Great Christina! This HIIT business sounds fantastic, but what exactly is it?" HIIT is a series of excises that alternate from intense bursts of exercise to less-intense periods. For example: 20 seconds of sprinting, followed by 10 seconds of walking. The key to benefit from a HIIT workout is to push yourself to the maximum. We should feel out of breath and our heart rate should reach it's max during our workout to achieve the most benefit.